Pages

Thursday 1 March 2012

Slow Living Month 2

Such a lovely way to reflect on the month and think about how i use my time and energy. Thanks Christine for the great idea.

Nourish - My first month doing the wholefood course with Heather from Beauty that moves has seen many blogs of cakes, salads, stews and biscuits all using whole foods, grains and natural products. I've cut back on takeaways dramatically and have started to adjust to a diet full of fruit, vegetables and grains that actually taste really good! I also introduced my son to homemade rusks and hummus, they were a huge hit and are some of his favourites now.



Prepare - I've been bottling up a storm using our excess produce. I've made Passata, Raspberry jam, Zucchini relish and tomato sauce so far this season. I've also started pre-cooking and freezing bags of beans for healthy easy meals.


Reduce - Re-organising my cupboards helped me find uses for old jars i had in a cupboard while helping to tidy the pantry and keep my stores at their best.

Grow - The garden produce went wild this month thanks to a flush of weddings and events out of town. We were inundated with zucchini and tomatoes. The capsicums are finally starting to ripening and the pumpkins are slowly taking over the garden. I also managed to dry some herbs for winter and get them all packed away.




Green - I used a homemade sleep balm containing lavender, chamomile and rose essential oils to help lull myself into sleep.

Create- I finally finished up a long term UFO, this beautiful summery quilt which brings me a lot of joy.


Discover - rediscovering the beautiful music of the Unthank sisters and turning off my tv more to enjoy some peace and reflection while i listen.


I also discover the beautiful art of Crispin Korschen from the site Barking mad



This one is on its way to find a place in my home as we speak.

Enhance - All my activities these days involve babies in some way so this month there was coffee groups and playcentre to fill my time. But i would like to think about doing more in the community in the next month. Maybe try to get back into some of the guilds i used to belong to.

Enjoy - Having my mother to stay and being taken care of. Sometimes its just nice to curl up and have a nap knowing the baby is being loved and well cared for and the cleaning and cooking fairies will visit while you are asleep. Mums are amazing like that. Also the weddings of family and friends and catching up with friends out of town. So much to be joyful about.

Take care people and i'll talk to you all soon.

7 comments:

  1. That quilt is amazing! I'm also impressed with your produce haul... you have me longing for spring. We have 2 1/2 months before we can safely plant here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, take a look at that harvest! Beautiful.

    Your sleep balm sounds divine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness Kathryn i assume your over the other side of the world right now? Ive been staring lovingly at pictures of snow lately. No snow here but at least we can grown veges all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mums really are a gift aren't they. I am super impressed with your quilt, it simply looks amazing and that painting by Crispin Korschen is wonderful, I will definetly be having a look at that site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! It always feels good to finish off another project. And yes mums are wonderful i didnt appreciate mine fully till i had a baby which im sure is common.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy-Rose Malcuit7 June 2012 at 11:26

    Racheal, I have this picture on my wall in my bedroom. I love all their paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this one and wild birds, they really are beautiful aren't they.

      Delete